Springburn Station is situated 1¼ miles north of Glasgow Queen Street High Level Station, and serves the Springburn district in the north-east of Glasgow. The station was built by the City of Glasgow Union Railway, whose branch line from Bellgrove opened to goods traffic in 1875. However it was not until 1887 that the station was opened for passenger traffic. It was built as a terminus, but two through platforms were added shortly afterwards when the CGUR gained running powers over the Sighthill Branch of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, which ran alongside the CGUR at this location, giving the CGUR access to both the E&G main line at Cowlairs and also the former Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway, which had now become the main Caledonian Railway route from Glasgow to north-east Scotland via Cumbernauld and Stirling. Several different passenger routes operated from the station, including workers' trains to Singer on the Glasgow, Dumbarton & Helensburgh Railway and a circular suburban service via the Stobcross Railway and the GD&HR. The CGUR was absorbed jointly by the North British and Glasgow & South Western Railways in 1896, with the NBR taking over the Bellgrove to Springburn branch.
The section to Springburn from Bellgrove electrified in November 1960 as part of the North Clyde Electrification scheme, but regular services northwards to Cowlairs ended in 1963 when the workers trains to Singer were withdrawn. However, from November 1966 trains to and from Cumbernauld were diverted to Springburn following the closure of Buchanan Street Station. Passengers had to change onto the North Clyde Line at Springburn to reach Glasgow as there was no direct route to Queen Street Station. Through running to Queen Street High Level Station eventually commenced in 1989, albeit with a reversal in a loop alongside Eastfield Locomotive Shed.
Since 1993, Cumbernauld trains have run directly to and from Queen Street High Level via the Cowlairs Chord, a new single-track curve running from Cowlairs to Springburn Station. Although currently diesel-operated, the line is in the process of being electrified as part of the Edinburgh to Glasgow Improvement Programme.
Springburn Station retains four platforms: two for through trains and two bay platforms for terminating services from Bellgrove and points west. Two through goods lines formerly ran past the south side of the station; these formed the original E&GR Sighthill branch. They were latterly used to access the goods yard at Sighthill prior to its closure in October 1981. They have now been lifted.
The station building at Springburn was designed by James Carsewell. It is now protected as a category B listed building.Wikipedia page
Pressed Steel Co. Class AM3 Blue Train (Class 303) 3-car EMU No. 081 stands at the buffer stops at Springburn Station on 7th June, 1964, prior to forming the 4.53pm train to Milngavie. The through platforms on the right were little-used at this time, workers' trains to and from Singer being the only regular traffic. The large factory in the background was the Atlas Works of the North British Locomotive Co., which had recently gone into liquidation. The NBL Co's Hyde Park Works were situated to the right of the station. [Fred Landery]( Collapse )